Monday, August 23, 2010

Remember To Stop and Smell the Flowers

I refrain from to many formal activities.  Our Friday night out to Olive Garden was stiff enough for me.  Reasons are many!  I was in a business meeting with MetLife as we are refinancing our home, and my phone rang, I mean barked.  (lol)  Yes, the ring tone is a dog barking.  I felt the meeting was not to formal and the professional mortgage lender was busy typing on the computer, knowing it was my youngest son, I made a special exception to make sure everything was alright.
      "Hi, Mom", William said.
      Whispering I said, "Hi, Wils what's up." 
      "Oh, nothing." Pause.
      "William, what do you need?"
      "Can I have some chocolate chips?"  Usually under these circumstances, the answer would be yes, just to get them off the phone and I could deal with them later.  But I guess without thinking to much about it I replied back a quick no of which sparked more conversation.  "Well, what can I have?  I am so hungry."
      "William I will make dinner when I get home, so just eat an apple for now."  Thinking I have to get off this phone, while somewhat whispering,  but how can you whisper in a very small business office occupying two people.  Obviously this lady could hear everything I said.  I was regretting answering the phone by now.  "Gotta go, William."
       "Wait, wait, Mom?" William panicking on the other end.
       "W H A T?" I replied.
       "What kind of apples are they?"
       "Fuji, William."  By now I was embarrassed by having this conversation, realizing it wasn't an earth shattering situation.  Feeling like I just want to hang up the phone and not discuss what brand of apples we have at home and thinking this lady is going to think we are crazy.
       "Ok, as long as they aren't Red Delicious apples, I hate those kind.  You know I'd rather have Granny Smith, but Fuji will do.  Ok, thanks Mom, I'll see ya in a litlle bit."  My embarrassment subsided by the time William finished talking because by now I was smiling and chuckling to myself.  I hung up the phone gently putting the phone back in my purse.  Properly sitting up straight waiting for Ms. Mortgage Loan Lender Lady to continue with my situation.  She turns to me with her glasses on the tip of her nose and said, "He really doesn't know the difference between apples does he?"  At that moment I realized, your right, how many 9 year old boys care about what type of apple they are eating.
      "Yes, he really cares about that." I said, smiling and nodding and thinking to myself, if she only knew how much.
       Sometimes I wish my focus wasn't so much on the biological make up of every single living organism on this earth.  But its how my mind works and I see I've passed down to my children the awareness of what we put in our bodies.  Usually in my hasten furies my most precious lessons are revealed as long as I am listening.  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment